Thursday, May 31, 2007

My Junk Food

The checker at the grocery store was unloading my cart when she unceremoniously asked, "Do you ever buy junk food?"

It took me a little by surprise for a couple of reasons: 1) she obviously knows who I am because I come through her line every week at about the same time (how hard is it to miss a lady with six girls and one boy in tow?) and 2) she pays attention to what I buy.

I smiled, "Heck no! It's too expensive."

"So, um, do you ever eat anything unhealthy?"

"OH, yeah. We are the biggest chocolate chip cookie freaks. I have 100 lbs. of chocolate chips stored downstairs in three 5-gallon buckets." The bagger's jaw dropped in awe.

"Don't forget your Dove chocolate, Mom," Sara quickly pointed out.

"Oh, right. I have to have a supply of Dove too."

"Good for you! I'm glad to know you are normal after all." Now what is that supposed to mean? I'm not even going to ask.

My question for you is: What junk food do you like to splurge on? Can't live without? Do you buy it or make it?

Here's a few of our favorite homemade treats: 'Healthy' Cookies, Hostess Cupcakes,Mexican Double Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies, Peanut Butter Cookies, Pumpkin Spice Cookies, Scones with Honey Butter.

Bon Appetit!

9 comments:

Tiffany said...

I have a recipe for a Chocotale Peanut Butter PMS Brownie Bars that is soooo good. I don't make it very often, because I tend to eat the majority of it. The brownie mix comes from a box, I'm not that talented. Also Chocolate Chip cookies, those I do make from scratch, just made a batch today, fresh from the oven is best.

Mrs. O said...

Chocolate is my weak spot too. I don't tend to crave the salty, fried stuff, but m&ms, especially in Monster Cookies are delish!

Thanks for your comment the other day - that was a tough time.

athena said...

chocolate! although i wouldn't consider it junk food. hehe. do you know that raw chocolate diminishes appetite and aids in weight loss? yup. increases sensuality and beauty too. hehe.

Vanessa and Rebecca said...

Triple chocolate cookies. I will make and post today for you. Heavenly, oh so heavenly. By far the BEST chocolate cookies, the kids fight over them good.

Julie Lybbert said...

For every birthday, the person of the day gets to pick out something for a cake (a store-bought cake, a cake mix, a pie, stuff to make favorite dessert squares, etc) and ice cream or pop or something else to go with it. We have to have our birthday treats.

And I gotta have a chocolate bar every once in a while. :-)

An Ordinary Mom said...

Chocolate ... dark chocolate! Rich, dark chocolate cake is heavenly! Layer cookies are also scrumptious - a layer of cookie dough, layer of chocolate, layer of caramel and another layer of dough. We freeze them and ... yum!

I am definitely going to have to check out some of the recipes you listed.

Glad to know you are "normal" :) !! We tend to eat pretty healthy, too, but we have to have our treats.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Doesn't it just weird you out when checkers ask you about what is in your basket? Oy!

I can easily pass up the chips & cookies, but it's no secret that I love candy, chocolate & ice cream! My favorite is imported Swedish chocolate from a little store up near my parents in Oregon. I only get that once a year or so, in the meantime I console myself with Lindor truffles.

andalucy said...

Yes, it's weird when the checkers comment on what you're buying. The other day one gave me a knowing look and said, "I know what YOU are making! Pad Thai!" O.k., so what would he have said if I were buying adult diapers or maxis or something?

Anyway, I don't like to buy junk either. I am like you--homemade cookies all the way. But I have made a wonderful/awful discovery. The other day I had to make cookies for the sisters I visit teach. I bought some frozen cookie dough--Sweet Martha's chocolate chunk--because I was running short on time. They were scrumptious! Now I crave them all the time. :-(

*Merry Girls* said...

I like all kinds of chocolate sweets - cookies, cakes, brownies. But my favorite indulgence is cheese cake, real cheese cake baked in the oven. My favorite is Brownie Cheese Cake, wish I had some now!