Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Kindness Matters


Since our traveling fiasco over a week ago, I can't seem to stop thinking about the kindness shown by our 'angel in disguise'. Does he know how much his act meant to me and my family? Probably not. He could have passed on by like all the others cars did. It would have been easier. But he didn't. Why?

I've been recalling past kindnesses shown to me -some big, most small- but all have come when I needed it; a door held open when my arms are full, an unexpected visit from a friend, a smile and wave from the neighbor passing by, frozen dinners filling my freezer after the birth of a baby, a "Great to see you" greeting from someone at church. It gave me pause to wonder how often do I stop to help someone in need? Or maybe the bigger question is how often do I pass up the opportunity to help someone else?

The words of the hymn "Have I Done Any Good" came to my mind.

1. Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

[Chorus]
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.

2. There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, “Sometime I’ll try,”
But go and do something today.
’Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love’s labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known.

Text and music: Will L. Thompson, 1847–1909, alt.

I particularly like the last two lines of the chorus "Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure, A blessing of duty and love." It feels good to do good. So why am I not more kind, more nice more often?

If a smile or a hello or simple kindness can bring happiness and joy into someone’s life, how great is our potential to brighten this world with the influence of “Christlike niceness.”
~Rex D. Pinegar~


I'm starting each day with a renewed resolve to be more kind to brighten my own world with "Christlike niceness". Of course I'm starting with my family - reading a book, making a favorite meal, giving compliments for example. So far it's made for calmer, happier days. And I can see an added bonus - without realizing it, the girls are following suit!

Kindness does matter.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


A couple of weeks ago, while I was in Tooele, Lei from my Many Colored Days presented me with the Nice Matters Blog Award.
It is for "those bloggers who are nice people; good blog friends & those who inspire good feelings and inspiration. Also for those who are a positive influence on our blogging world. Once you've been awarded please pass it on to 7 others who you feel are deserving of this award."

Athena
Calandria
Corrie
Kim
Vanessa
Inga
Tasra

They all deserve it!

5 comments:

andalucy said...

aw, thanks. :-)

athena said...

wow, thanks so much for the award. :-)

Mrs. O said...

thank you - I would have to give one of mine right back to you. I love your cheerfulness and positivity.

info@thebabymarketplace.com said...

Thanks Montserrat, I am flattered!

Ice Cream said...

This post is exactly what I have been thinking about today. We have been on the road ALL summer. There have been very few homecooked meals and almost no fresh baked goodies. While lying on the couch, amid countless unpacked bags, my neighbor stopped by with a fresh peach and blackberry cobbler. I started to cry. To her is may have been just a cobbler, to me it was a Heaven sent kindness.