Monday, October 30, 2006

Children's books


Athena asked what my favorite children's book is. Here's my answer. I have to many to pick just one! :D So I've picked a couple from each 'level'.



My favorites to read to my 2-5 year olds are one's with repetition like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and Eric Carle's books like Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do See?

For the beginning readers (ages 4-7) I love the good old Golly Sisters and Amelia Bedelia books. They are so much fun to listen too!



At about this age all of my girls have wanted to write their own books too and usually make up their own stories featuring Amelia Bedelia or The Golly Sisters. The girls do a great job and I type them up and make them into little books that the girls illustrate themselves.


And for those independent readers (ages 7-10) I just love the Little House books, The Moffat books by Eleanor Estes, and The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright.



The stories and adventures contained in these books are so appealing to children. And some are so hilarious they must have been taken from personal experience.

One day, maybe I'll get up the nerve to try my hand at writing a children's book or start smaller by writing a story for The Friend. Only time will tell!

4 comments:

athena said...

thanks for sharing! i haven't heard of the last two so i might check them out. i love children's books too.

wendy said...

I love your book list! I just happened upon your blog and it is so cute! Your girls are adorable (I have 6 sisters - girls rock!)

athena said...

oh and i visit wendy's blog too. love the id pic, LOL.

Anonymous said...

I picked up The Saturdays on audiobook today.

So. What's up? Any trips to the hospital lately?