Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Sign of Spring

Yesterday afternoon I spotted a mountain bluebird right outside the kitchen door. The rain was sprinkling down and the bluebird flew away so I couldn't get a good picture. Found this one on the internet. The bird was so beautiful! It was a brilliant blue color just like the one in this photo.
The Bluebird's Song
I know the song that the bluebird is singing
Out in the apple tree where he is swinging.
Brave little fellow! the skies must be dreary -
Nothing cares he while his heart is so cheery.
Hark! how the music leaps out from his throat!
Hark! was there ever so merry a note?
Listen, a while, and you'll hear what he's saying,
Up in the apple tree swinging and swaying.
"Dear little blossoms down under the snow,
You must be weary of winter, I know.
Listen, I'll sing you a message of cheer!
Summer is coming! and springtime is here!
"Little white snowdrop! I pray you, arise;
Bright yellow crocus! please, open your eyes;
Sweet little violets, hid from the cold,
Put on your mantles of purple and gold;
"Daffodils! Daffodils! say, do you hear?
Summer is coming, and springtime is here!"
~ Emily Huntington Miller ~

1 comment:

Bookworm said...

How beautiful! I think they are prettier than Eastern bluebirds! I'm lonely for the birds but we haven't seen many spring birds yet. Sigh.